Brexit Hub

VAT registration in the EU


If you trade in goods and decide to hold stock in an EU country for supply to your EU customers, you will need to register for VAT in that country. Dependant on the country where your stock is, you may also be required to appoint a Fiscal Representative who is jointly liable for any VAT you may owe.

Your business should consider

  • Do you know which country would be best suited to support your supply chain to EU customers/suppliers?
  • Do you have access to bank guarantees required by Fiscal Representatives?
  • Does your business model allow enough margin to absorb the increased costs these new processes will bring?

Resources and information

HMRC has published an information pack to help businesses plan ahead plan for the contingency of a ‘no deal’ EU Exit.

The pack includes guidance on how VAT could be affected and actions to take now. Information is split by topic and audience, and flowcharts:

Future editions of this pack will include information from other government departments responsible for policies that will impact trade at the border.

UK Government technical notice on VAT for businesses if there’s no Brexit withdrawal agreement:

Serving East Lancashire for over 130 years

The Chamber offers you and your employees a host of unique benefits and much more!